May 21, 2015

Just to prove a point!

Bill ablaze at Indy, May 14, 1987
Back in the eighties, Bill Simpson, founder of Simpson Race Products, knew he had a good Flame Resistant Driving Suit that would help keep drivers safe in case of fire. However, he was having a tough time convincing his would-be-clients.

So, one day, he did the unimaginable and set himself ... on fire...just to prove his point. Below follows an excerpt of his recollection of how things went down.

The suit on display at Simpson HQ
"I'm sure it helped that I was a driver myself. Not only did I know the other racers, but they understood that the stuff I wore was the same stuff I'd sell them. Guys like A.J. [Foyt] and the Unser's, they always used to bust me. Anyway, we were at the Speedway (Indy) and I told them, Ya know, I'm tired of this. Lets go down to turn one, you can pour gasoline on me and light me on fire."

"So off we went and of course everyone followed along. Well there I sat, on a metal chair and they poured gas on me. Chip Ganassi threw the match in. Now I'm on fire and the next thing I see is George Snider or someone standing there sticking a hot dog into the fire!"

"Pretty soon after that everyone of those guys was wearing my stuff."

To be continued.

Source: Museum of American speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment