May 15, 2014

True potential

Occasionally a gifted person comes along and grabs your attention. This happened to me a couple of years back when I saw a video by the Finn Antti Kalhola for the first time. His video editing skills were a couple of notches above everyone else I'd seen, except for the big movie studios. So naturally I started following him and posting his videos on FulTrot, with his permission of course. Then Antti wrote this on his FB page:

- - -
"It's time to share another life's lesson to everyone that I have gone through myself recently...nothing original I'm sure but still very important for each of us. Two main things: Always follow your passion, the thing what you are most passionate about in life. Don't try to think what would be the most sensible thing for you to do in life by measuring your different strengths and listening to other people's opinions what could be sensible for you to do...you are just wasting ...your time and life that way, just think what you are really passionate about and follow that. And secondly, don't listen to anyone else than yourself when it comes to really big decisions in your life...no matter how important or big influence the person for you. Sounds very simple, but in reality it can be far from it, it's very easy to let other people influence you if you are not careful.

I thought directing films or something like that would be a good thing for me, partly by listening to others, partly by trying to think what is "sensible". But I have realized that my drive for making videos has come first and foremost from my big passion for motorsport that has been there since I can remember anything from life basically, it comes from inside me and there is nothing fake about it. I have realized that my calling is to be with motorsport, I haven't found out yet if it's competing or making films about it or both...but that much I know.

If you are not passionate about what you do, you will never reach your full potential in life. For example I will never forget how it felt to receive a phone call unexpectedly from one of my big idols Ari Vatanen and spending time talking with him about my video and our passions...or how I have felt inside me when making a video about Ayrton Senna. I can't even find proper words for those feelings as they are so strong. Sometimes when I have received a really big sensation of inspiration for a video, I have cried just because of the feeling... I'm not ashamed to admit that, the feeling is so strong. But you will only experience those feelings and heights if you are passionate about what you do.

Unfortunately often you really only realize these things by living your life...not from books or Antti's Facebook wall posts either. But all the best with following your dreams in life, whatever it happens to be for each of you".

- - -

Mind you that Antti is a young man with a great gift for editing but now finds himself at a crossroad. The reason I choose to share his message is because very seldom do you find such honesty. And as we live in a time of main stream decision making, I thought it a welcome breath of fresh air. Besides, I share his views on this. Who knows his message might help others reach their true potential.

Thanks for reading.

Source: A. Kalhola (with permission - unedited)

No comments:

Post a Comment