January 7, 2012

Countdown to 24hrs of Daytona

The countdown to the grand-daddy of all american endurance races all has started. The 50th running of the 24 hours of Daytona is just three weeks away and most teams are (or should be) putting the finishing touches to their entries.

And so is APR Motorsports. The Alabama based tuner of VW/Audi/Porsche cars will enter a mean looking Audi R8 Grand-Am to this years 24-hour classic race, with none other than 5 time Le Mans winner Emanuele Pirro as lead driver. Venezuelan national champ Nelson Canache, Dion von Moltke, Dr. Jim Norman, and Ian Baas will also be driving for APR.
"The Rolex 24 at Daytona has a very special meaning for me," said Pirro. "It was my very first car race outside of Italy, driving the Lancia Montecarlo Turbo in the World Endurance Championship opening round. My racing experience was very limited, and the longest race I had done was 25 Minutes. I remember the first time I saw the track. I was almost shocked! After this fantastic experience, when I came back to Italy I was celebrated as a hero. I never went back and now, after 31 years, I am really excited about it."

The APR drivers started testing this weekend at Daytona International Speedway and will do so throughout the weekend.

Be sure to be on the look out for the no. 51 with Pirro at the wheel of the Audi at the drop of the green flag come January 28.

Source: APR Motorsport, Jalopnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment