December 18, 2014

An Englishman in NY

Two weeks ago, on a short but sweet vacation to New York City, while walking out of Balthazar in SoHo, the distinct sound of a Harley-Davidson engine caught my attention. But when I was finally able to identify the culprit amongst the crowd of people trying to get a table on a Friday at the traditional French bistro, it turned out to be a Morgan 3-Wheeler.

Moments like these remind me that there are motoring enthusiast in every corner of the world, and in any weather too. There I was standing in 40 degrees weather with a wind chill in the 30's and this fellow, and co-pilot all decked out in protective gear, were just enjoying the ride that early afternoon. So cool! Unfortunately, I was not able to snap a picture. So instead I have placed one of Mr. Morgan in a Morgan participating in the 2012 Gumball. To read his diary, click here.


The still family owned Morgan Motor Company, founded in 1910, started manufacturing the roadster styled 3 wheelers again in 2012. The power comes from a S&S engine mated to a Miata 5-speed transmission. S&S engines use a modified 1983 cc ohv V-twin Harley-Davidson engine, which puts out about 115 hp. The curb weight of the 3 wheeler is 550 kg and it's acceleration to 60 mph is about 4.5 seconds. Pretty quick when you are so low to the ground. Naturally, I am gonna try to get myself behind the wheel of one of these 3 wheelers. Let you know all about it too!

Source: Morgan Motor Co., Wikipedia
Photo Credit: Photographer unknown (Charles Morgan)

No comments:

Post a Comment