October 6, 2011

Le Mans - Steve McQueen's movie

Last weekend I received the latest issue of RTL GP (#4/2011). Thanks Mrs. P.
Browsing through it I came across one of my favourite topics, the endurance race of Le Mans. The article in question was about the filming of the movie by Steve McQueen called "Le Mans". The article is called "Niet te filmen" which loosely translates to "impossible to film". The article is about Steve's intention to make the best race film ever, but how the making of the film quickly turned difficult. 
Even though I did not like what I read, it was very educational. I didn't know that Steve raised himself without parents and that this led him to behave in a child-like manner. He was also egocentric and had a constant need of proving himself to others. In this case it was to professional race car drivers, such as Derek Bell. 
The article has a series of short opinions of those who were on set. I think it is best for me to translate a few and you be the judge.


Jabby Crombac, at the time a race reporter hired as a consultant:
"We ate breakfast at the Hotel Moderne in Le Mans. Steve ordered bacon and eggs and told the waiter he wanted two of each. I asked him: "Are you that hungry?" He replied: "No. But I was very poor and often went without eating. So now that I can I want as much food around me. It makes me feel good."


Derek Bell, driver commenting on the movable camera's mounted on the back of his 917, which were used to film the passing of cars at high speed:
"The first time that I went out and tried that contraption, as the camera began to move around, the nose of the car lifted of the pavement. I was doing some 100 mph and I could no longer steer the car. It was really frightening."


Steve McQueens' reaction to being given an ultimatum by the chiefs of Cinema Center, regarding the film that was long overdue and over budged. You can either stop filming or you can finish it, but without your $750K salary and your cut of the profits:
"We don't need a script, it's all in my head."


Elga Anderson, co-star (Swedish-born) and her thoughts on Steve:
"I found him to be quite a complicated man that did his very best to grow up."


Steve McQueen, on Elga, and how she got the job after they had been filming for 6 weeks and the first candidate Diana Rigg cancelled. 
"You haven't slept with the director. You haven't slept with the producer. You have slept with me. How in hell did you get this job?"


Derek Bell, driver, commenting on the prank he and Jo Siffert pulled on Steve while filming the race sequence. They had boxed Steve in and taken the bend at the white house and top speed: 
"His face was as white as the balaclava he was wearing. But at no point did he lift his foot of the gas pedal or make a mess of it. He could have backed off and gone slower through Maison Blanche, but he stayed with us. Afterwards he said in shivering voice: "Don't you ever pull that shit on me again!""


All of the racing scenes from the movie, 1 of 2.


Racing scenes, 2 of 2.



In my mind, Steve McQueen's own way of making this movie may have cost him his marriage, his fortune and his reputation. However, more than 40 years later there has yet to be a better racing film made.

I am so looking forward to attending this race again. The last time I was there, in 1998, I didn't know half as much as I do know.



video courtesy of Sportscararchives

No comments:

Post a Comment