April 19, 2012

Anderson takes zMAX back to back.

Greg doing a burnout
Greg Anderson knew he would have to be at the top of his game to have a winning chance at the Four Wide NHRA Nationals at zMAX Dragway last weekend. Having qualified in seventh place, he fought his way to the final of this unique three-round, four abreast race by being the quickest in each of the first two rounds, where he would race against Vincent Nobile, Erica Enders, and his teammate Jason Line.

As was the case in earlier rounds, this race did not start of without problems, as Erica's scoreboard malfunction gave the erroneous impression that she had won the finals. However, once the NHRA officials reviewed the finish line video (in slo-mo), as is customary, it became apparent that the Summit Racing Pontiac GXP was well ahead at the finish line giving the four-time champion his third home track win and the 72nd of his racing career.

Greg (second from bottom)
"Seeing Jason a car length ahead of me for the whole race, I knew I must have lost to him", said Anderson. "He doesn't red light very often, so I didn't even think of that. I figured I must have been very late, and didn't even bother looking at my win light on the wall. As I came around the corner at the top end I was really bummed, because I was wondering who else might have finished ahead of me. I then saw the TV cameras coming towards me, and realized that I had somehow won."

In Top Fuel, Spencer Massey won by running 332 mph and actually just wanted to go from A to B and make his competitors beat him.

In Funny Car, Robert Hight became just the fifth Funny Car driver to win four consecutive events in NHRA history. His winning run was a 4.076 second pass at 314.83 mph with a reaction time of 0.58 seconds.

The next race will take place April 27-29 at the Royal Purple Raceway, in Houston, Texas.

Thanks for reading.

Source: Doorslammers.com.

Photos courtesy of: NHRA and Drag Illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment