October 21, 2011

A Yaris with a V12?

Levine in his studio.
The other day I stumbled across the ground breaking work (read: ear shattering to purists) of legendary record producer Steve Levine in conjunction with Harmann Kardon on a new technology called Halosonic. I won't bore you with the details but one only needs to glance back at Harmann's Toyota Prius demonstrator to catch a glimpse of his genious, for it can generate a range of sounds from an All American V8 to a flat-four.  It seems that the silence of low-emissions vehicles has been recognized as a new hazard on the roads, especially at low speeds. To counter this, governments of developed nations (thank God this won't apply to us) are introducing legislation that will force manufacturers to make their cars produce a sound at low speed. Imagine that!
Levine believes that this could usher in a new era of self-expresion, similar to that of remixes and ringtones. Can you hear me know?
I for one, will take my new car with the sound of a nineteen-seventies V12 along with a burst of this: http://fozzy42.com/SoundClips/Themes/TV/Sanford.wav so that when I am cruising down "hanchi makaku", I can hit the button and hear the onlookers say: "hesta laf no!"

Derived from an article in the 100th issue of Octane.

No comments:

Post a Comment