November 16, 2014

BIG WATER

Occasionally, and this is what motivates me to write for FulTrot, is that I get send stuff that blows me away. And though normally I restrict myself to covering either two or four wheels, I will gladly make an exception in this case. Mind you that I have been on the bay of Spanish Water since my early teens and I love to go fast regardless of the surface type.

Turn up the volume of your computer's speakers and send your companion to fetch you a cold one. Once she's left the room... click here, maximize the screen, sit back and enjoy.

What you are watching is the harrowing first half of the Sunday main event of the 2014 Superboat World Championships in Key West, Florida. On board camera's capture the action as Paul Whittier  (driver) and Bob Teague (throttle man) man-handle the #77 AMSOIL 368 Skater to second place, and again second in the third race of the week long event.

Pay close attention to the in-boat camera as they show the tachometer's needles swiftly drop as Bob eases off when the props are about to loose contact with the water, followed by both needles jumping up as he puts the hammer down. Gotta love the sound of the dual V-8 engines. Besides showing the rooster tail, the rear view camera shows the driver the position of the competition. There is also a pretty long props-out-of-the-water jump at the 11:15 minute mark. Great raw footage surely to be seen to the end. For pictures click here.

The 36' Super Cat "Skater" is powered by twin 525 hp Mercury V-8 engines.

I must say that what they called for this race severely rough and storm-like conditions, for us in the Southern Caribbean Sea would be considered good weather.

Thanks to Bob Teague for sharing the video. And a tip-of-the-hat to Earl Webster.

Source: Teague Custom Marine Inc.
Photo credit: Jimdoil.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment